Amazon

Monday, January 28, 2013

Filler!? In Books!?

A conversation I had with a friend recently got me to thinking, are books guilty of filler? Anyone who has watched any anime, notably Naruto and Bleach, know what I mean when I say filler. However, I will explain it for the uninitiated. Filler is a term used to describe episodes of a series that do nothing but take up space. They do nothing to further the plot, have no real character development, and no real lasting impact. I am in the process of reading through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. And while I am only on book seven, A Crown of Swords, I already feel that there is too much filler. That is to say that there seem to be segments in each book that do little to nothing to further the plot, have no real character development, and no real lasting impact. While I enjoy the series, so far at least, there are times where everything becomes tedious and I have to take small breaks. Gotrek and Felix stories really help for said small breaks. To be fair I have been warned that some of the later books in the Wheel of Time series almost completely fit the definition of filler.

So, what do you have to say regarding filler in books?

Also there are not too many days left in the contest to choose my new tagline. Any suggestions are welcome (keep 'em clean). The winning entry, chosen by me, will be used to replace "Living vicariously through others since 1980". Enter now!

No comments: